Get started with your own custom short domain with these easy steps.
*If you already use a custom short domain, and want to point the same domain to Po.st, please read the instructions at the bottom of this post.
- Purchase the short domain you would like to use. This domain can only be used for your shortened URLs.
- Create a DNS record for your domain. Using the control panel of the host with whom you registered your short domain (GoDaddy, 101Domain, etc), set the DNS A Record for your short domain to point to 126.96.36.199.
Note: Only 1 (one) DNS A record should exist per domain (including per sub-domain), having more than one A record conflicts with the DNS settings and will cause errors.
Set a sub domain (www.)
- Follow both steps above.
- Include a CNAME record. The CNAME record should be structured as such:
www.vanity.domain CNAME vanity.domain
Note: Setting a CNAME record like this will send all users who use www as a subdomain to access your vanity domain to the same destination as your intended short link.
Set your custom domain up in your Po.st Link Shortener account.
- Sign into your account and click 'Campaigns' at the top of your screen.
- Click the 'Start New Campaign' button at the top right
- In your New Campaign popup click 'Set Custom domain name'
- Type in the domain you purchased (http://examp.le)
- Do NOT include a slash at the end of your domain, that will cause a broken URL
- wrong example: http://examp.le/
- Then click 'Start Campaign'.
Setup your vanity domain to redirect to your homepage
In the instance that a user types in your vanity domain by itself, or encounters a broken link the default action is to redirect the user to http://www.po.st. We have the ability to change this for you such that instead it can point to your homepage, or your own custom 404 page. In order to set this up please reach out to your account manager or firstname.lastname@example.org and ask them to set your root domain redirect to point to your homepage.
I Already Have a Custom Short Domain...
If you are currently using a custom short domain, switching the same domain to our system is very easy!
- Simply send us an excel sheet, or csv file with a list of your current short links and their corresponding long links.
- We will use our internal software to recreate all of your links in Po.st
- Use the instructions at the top of this document to point your short domain A record to Po.st
- Start shortening!
you can send requests for this to email@example.com